Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Soup Kitchen For Bees


We received the coolest surprise on our doorstep earlier this week. Actually, every stoop in the neighborhood had one. It was a simple soup can with a marigold planted inside. The label was bilingual with French on one side and English on the other. Across the top of the label was the headline "Soup Kitchen For Bees" with a subheading stating "Please take care of me and help bees!". The instructions were quite simple so that even the person with the biggest black thumb (a.k.a.) me could follow them; water and sun and no pesticides. Not only was this the coolest thing I've seen in a long time but I was intrigued so I naturally checked out the website that was listed on the bottom of the can and this was what I found:

Mic Le Pirate is a self proclaimed entertainer, artist and citizen of the earth who lives right here in Mons. Honestly, I had never heard of him prior to receiving this plant on our doorstep and struggled to learn more about him via his online profile.  His website is a bit obscure (at least the English translation is) and I'm probably too much of a traditionalist to fully appreciate his art.  What I do know is that I love the effort and energy that was put into the early morning plant delivery. The idea is so simple yet the message is so nice. I am just chalking it up to yet another cool thing about about our neighborhood. And I'm going to do my best to keep my little marigold alive.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool - I love this idea! My friend is a bee keeper - I think I might do this in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete