Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sharks, Reptiles & Fish....A Whole Lot Of Fish

I've always loved aquariums. The minute I step inside I become a big kid who is fascinated by everything around me. I've visited aquariums of all sizes, from those that are barely more than a few fish tanks to ones of epic size. My favorite by far is the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland. So when we found ourselves passing through Maryland recently I made spending a day at the aquarium at top priority since I couldn't wait to introduce Sidney to this wonderful watery world.

It had been years since I last visited the aquarium and a lot had changed. It was bigger and better than I remembered with new exhibitions including a steamy rain forest. But my old favorites were there as well; who doesn't love the multi-floor tanks where you can walk both up, over and down taking in the schools of swimming fish of all sizes. And the shark tank filled with those dangerously beautiful animals? Sidney was simultaneously entranced and scared by what he saw. As an adult I appreciated the educational aspect of so many of the displays. Aquarium educators stood by many of the tanks, waiting to explain their contents to visitors. Written narratives explained others and I loved the connection that was made between what we were seeing, how we live and how it all effects the nearby Chesapeake Bay.

But as is the case with so many things, pictures simply say it better than words. So here are a few of my favorite pictures that give you a sense of how wonderful this aquarium really is.










If you go:

National Aquarium at the Inner Harbor
Baltimore, Maryland
www.aqua.org
Open 09.00-18.00 most days but hours vary
Tickets- $34.95 for adults, $21.95 for children over age 3, $29.95 for senior citizens

Paid parking at nearby Lockwood Place Garage
124 Market Place












No comments:

Post a Comment